Thursday, June 17, 2010

Oooh You Make Me Live..Oooh You're My Best Friend

Today was an incredible day. If I were to tell you about how I spent hours cleaning my room, running errands, hauling boxes into the attic, and taking the worlds quickest coldest shower on record, I'm sure you would beg to differ that that list sounds pretty awful. And that part on any other day would have been awful, except for today I finally met Bunny.

In my house Bunny is a legend. Every good story my mother ever told me about college involved Bunny in some way. And after 19 long years of life, and thousands of "I'm going to tell you a story about Bunny so you learn a life lesson through her shenanigans story", which by the way Mom never really worked because your stories always sounded super fun and made me want to do whatever it was that week that much more, I FINALLY MET BUNNY!!!! And she really is everything I had hoped she would be, and then even more. And its the more part that really got me thinking. Here it is 30 years after first meeting as college suitemates, and my mother and Bunny are still friends. Albeit, they aren't besties who talk all the time and see each other weekly, but I think that those types of relationships are significantly harder to maintain as you get older.

So as I saw my mom having a fabulous time with her friend, whom she sees about once a year and each time its like no time has passed at all, I began to really think about my own friendships. Now I must preface this by saying I am in a point in my life right now where I have really left behind my old high school ways, and everything about my college experience has become my life. My sisters are my everything, I love all of the friends I've made, and I wouldn't trade them for all the polos and pearls in the world. But my very best friend is the perfect hybrid for my life. She has been my best friend since we were 5 and she goes to school with me now. For me that means she has been there for every moment so far, happy or sad, and as we really and truly grow up and become the people we were meant to be, and will continue to stand together through ups and downs, thick and thin. So I am happy to know that in 30 years I too will have my very own "Bunny" by my side, to laugh and cry with, to continue to grow with, but I know that for us, our visits won't be an annual thing. We will be those women who have those impossible friendships, that even at 50 years old we will remain inseparable.

No comments:

Post a Comment